The only Slavic monastery of the empire of Charles IV became the centre of education and art. Among the students of the Cyrillic language was also Jan Hus. A number of illuminated jewels of literature were created there, including the so-called Reims Gospel, which got to the crown treasure of French kings. The monastery was intended for monks of the Rule of Saint Benedict summoned from Dalmatia and Croatia, who used Old Church Slavonic as the liturgical language. The construction was as expensive as Charles Bridge, but the builder is unknown. The church was demolished on 14 February 1945 during an American bombing raid on Prague. Later, an asymmetric 32-meter’s modern white concrete construction was installed instead of the required spires. 1.3 kg of 24-carat gold was used for the gold-plated point. There is an optical illusion that the southern spire, which is closer to the river, seems to be higher although it is not true.