• June 14, 2018

Karlov – Czech Police Museum in Prague

Karlov – Czech Police Museum in Prague

1024 722 Segwayfun.eu

The compound of Karlov is situated in the New Town of Prague, in Prague 2. It was named after the saint emperor Charles the Great or the Church of Our Lady and Saint Charles the Great, which was founded by King Charles IV. The centre of the compound is a former monastery of Augustinian canons by the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint Charles the Great, which today houses the Museum of Police of the Czech Republic with a traffic playground. In addition, there is the Clinic of Paediatrics, three buildings of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics of Charles University, U Apolináře Maternity Hospital (the oldest one in Czech lands), the upper part of the Rock of Albertov, Ztracenka Park and Na Karlově Park. From Karlov there are three parallel staircases leading down to Albertov. The longest one is called the Great Staircase of Albertov and has 116 steps. In the car park in front of the Museum of Police there are remainders of the T-shaped end of the tram railway line. The line was cancelled in 1966 due to the construction of the north-south highway. A part of the paediatric hospital was demolished for the same reason.