• June 14, 2018

St. Nicholas Church at Old Town Square in Prague

St. Nicholas Church at Old Town Square in Prague

1024 766 Segwayfun.eu

The Church of Saint Nicolas, also called the Temple of Saint Nicolas, is a baroque church situated in the Lesser Quarter, Prague. Thanks to its monumentality and demanding architectonic and artistic treatment, the church is sometimes considered the most significant baroque building of Prague in terms of the artistic importance. In the past its spire was used by persons whose task was to announce potential fires or enemies approaching the town. The church was built at a place where there was an originally Gothic parish church dedicated to Nicolas of Myra, dating back to the 13th century. All year round, the church holds concert cycles that use a historic organ dating back to the 18th century. The church decoration forms a purely baroque whole. The frescoes were made by Jan Lucas Kracker, a painter from Vienna, whose style was based on late Italian renaissance and his Venetian contemporaries.
The church has 3,000 m2 of wall painting. It is one of the most impressive works of Prague Baroque and a national cultural monument.
When staying in Prague, W.A. Mozart played the local organ.